Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change.


This morning, Kaya, Papa and I laid in bed together and watched the inauguration of President Obama. Even though I had voted for him and had cried when he won (I was 7 months pregnant, I cried at AT&T commercials at that point)- I don't think it had really occurred to me until today how significant a moment in history this actually is. But, laying there with my mixed race daughter watching a half-Black man take the oath of office, I realized that it will probably be of little significance to her that she is, in fact, a minority and that she will likely never know what it would have meant just short decades ago. I was proud of us, as a nation and hopeful, as a mother, that my daughter will never know what it's like to be ashamed to be American or to fear your government. I know it's a lot to ask of one man but I feel like change is coming and I'm excited.

1 comment:

  1. Kaya, you are so lucky to be born at a time like this. There is SOOO much going on in the world! Can't wait to tell you about it when you're older
    - Auntiebom

    ReplyDelete